Wednesday, May 6, 2009

The Saga of a Tabletop



We have a wonderful old glass topped iron dinning room table we inherited from Gary's great aunt. I begged for it and have always loved it. The problem is the glass is chipped and scratched horribly from the past several decades, and it only seats four comfortably. We are a family of five and many more than that on holidays and special occassions. Two years ago this month I discovered a cedar shop outside of Johnson City down in the hill country (found it looking for the cedar posts for my grape vines). They hand make really high end cedar furniture, mantels and iron peices. After visiting several times, I decided I had to have one of their creations. A larger top custom made to fit my iron base. This was the plan, gonna take a few months, great solution. That's when my dear hubby started talking to his work associates in Phoenix, and low and behold that just happens to be what one does for a hobby. That is when the table was to become my Christmas present for that year. We ended up with eight people around my same small glass table. To make the two year saga much shorter (partly because I can't even remember all the reasons why I don't have it yet), I should have received it yesterday. I didn't. Maybe the 15th?? I'm not holding my breath on it! Last year I bought a couple of ladder back chairs to slip cover and mix with the five iron chairs I have that go with the table. I've changed the fabric twice since then. I've painted the dining room to go with the slipcovers and completely cleaned the room out twice to make room for the much larger table. The funny thing is I don't even have the slightest idea what it will look like. Maybe like one of these. I'll let you know if I ever find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

You make my day when you leave me comments!! xoxo kim